Total Pageviews

Friday, 31 August 2012

My Ultimate Morrissey Set List


I have NEVER been disappointed by a Morrissey concert, or indeed it's content. I have enjoyed every set of every show, and I LOVE the fact that every time I have seen him, there have been different songs. With most major artists, including the likes of The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney, who both have huge back catalogues, you can pretty much predict that certain songs will appear, whereas with Morrissey, you can't, and that is one of the beauties of seeing him live.

Having said that, in much the same way as Desert Island Discs invites somebody to choose the songs they would take with them to a desert island, I have decided to create my 'Ultimate Morrissey Set List.' To arrive at the ultimate set list, I am going to work my way through a list of the tracks on each Morrissey/The Smiths album, and take my favourite songs from each. I will then whittle the list down to just twenty one songs, and then put them in a set list order. If anybody would like to write their own 'Ultimate Set List' in the comments section, then please feel free. Here we go:

The Smiths: Reel Around The Fountain, Still Ill, Hand In Glove, What Difference Does It Make?, I Don't Owe You Anything.

Hatful Of Hollow: William, It Was Really Nothing, This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now?, Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want.

Meat Is Murder: The Headmaster Ritual, I Want The One I Can't Have, What She Said, Barbarism Begins At Home, Meat Is Murder.

The Queen Is Dead: The Queen Is Dead, I Know It's Over, Never Had No One Ever, There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

The World Won't Listen: Shakespeare's Sister, Shoplifters of the World Unite, Stretch Out and Wait, Rubber Ring.

Louder Than Bombs: Sheila Take A Bow, Sweet and Tender Hooligan.

Strangeways Here We Come: A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours, Death of a Disco Dancer, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, Unhappy Birthday, I Won't Share You.

Viva Hate: Everyday Is Like Sunday, Suedehead.

Bona Drag: November Spawned a Monster.

Kill Uncle: Sing Your Life.

Your Arsenal: You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side, The National Front Disco, We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, Tomorrow.

Beethoven Was Deaf: Sister I'm A Poet.

Vauxhall and I: Now My Heart Is Full, Billy Budd, Hold on to Your Friends, Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself, Speedway.

Southpaw Grammar: The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils, Reader Meet Author, The Operation.

Maladjusted: Maladjusted, Alma Matters, Trouble Loves Me.

My Early Burglary Years: I've Changed My Plea to Guilty.

You Are The Quarry: Irish Blood, English Heart, I Have Forgiven Jesus, Come Back to Camden, The World Is Full of Crashing Bores, How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?, First of the Gang to Die, Let Me Kiss You, I Like You, You Know I Couldn't Last, Teenage Dad on His Estate, Friday Mourning, The Never-Played Symphonies, Mexico.

Ringleader of the Tormentors: Dear God Please Help Me, You Have Killed Me, Life Is a Pigsty.

Years of Refusal: Something Is Squeezing My Skull, Black Cloud, All You Need Is Me, One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, You Were Good In Your Time, Sorry Doesn't Help, I'm OK by Myself.

Swords: Shame Is The Name.

Unreleased: Scandinavia, Action Is My Middle Name, People Are the Same Everywhere.

I now have eighty songs that I have to get down to twenty one. I think the easiest thing to do is just work from the top and list the MUST haves, and see how many I'm left with. Here goes:

Reel Around the Fountain, What Difference Does it Make?, William, It Was Really Nothing, This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now?, The Headmaster Ritual, Barbarism Begins at Home, The Queen Is Dead, I Know It's Over, There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Death of a Disco Dancer, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, Everyday Is Like Sunday, Suedehead, November Spawned a Monster, The National Front Disco, Trouble Loves Me, I've Changed My Plea to Guilty, Come Back to Camden, The World Is Full of Crashing Bores, First of the Gang to Die, Let Me Kiss You, I Like You, Teenage Dad on His Estate, Friday Mourning, Dear God Please Help Me, Life Is a Pigsty, I'm OK by Myself, Shame Is the Name, Scandinavia.

I now have thirty songs which I need to get down to twenty one. My list surprisingly has NO tracks from; Kill Uncle, Vauxhall and I or Southpaw Grammar. I shall now reluctantly ditch; Barbarism, Suedehead, First of the Gang, Teenage Dad, Friday Mourning, Dear God, OK by Myself, Shame Is the Name and Scandinavia, so here is my ultimate set list:

1. What Difference Does It Make? (The Smiths)
2. William, It Was Really Nothing (Hatful Of Hollow)
3. Everyday Is Like Sunday (Viva Hate)
4. November Spawned a Monster (Bona Drag)
5. Death of a Disco Dancer (Strangeways Here We Come)
6. Come Back to Camden (You Are The Quarry)
7. Reel Around the Fountain (The Smiths)
8. This Charming Man (Hatful Of Hollow)
9. The National Front Disco (Your Arsenal)
10. Life is a Pigsty (Ringleader of the Tormentors)
11. I Like You (You Are The Quarry)
12. Let Me Kiss You (You Are The Quarry)
13. Trouble Loves Me (Maladjusted)
14. I've Changed My Plea to Guilty (My Early Burglary Years)
15. The Headmaster Ritual (Meat Is Murder)
16. The World Is Full of Crashing Bores (You Are The Quarry)
17. I Know It's Over (The Queen Is Dead)
18. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (Strangeways Here We Come)
19. The Queen Is Dead (The Queen Is Dead)
Encore
20. How Soon Is Now? (Hatful Of Hollow)
21. There is a Light That Never Goes Out (The Queen Is Dead)

10 comments:

  1. That must have been very hard to do Rat. But I think your end result is a great mix of Our Mozzers lifes works. Personally I would have kept Scandinavia but thats just me lol To hear November spawned a monster live would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great choices Rat.
    I've based mine on songs I've not heard for ages/never heard

    the never played symphonies
    now my heart is full
    angel angel down we go together
    alsatian cousin
    jack the ripper
    trouble loves me
    november spawned a monster
    art hounds**
    kids a looker**
    the queen is dead

    **sorely missed at manchester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the clinical and precise way that you selected your choices Rat.
    I do agree with most of your set list.
    Very sorry to see that AGAIN the MozWorld Twitter page has disappeared.
    I think that Our Moz has a love/hate relationship with Twitter
    in common with others.
    I will be sad when the Mozziah goes on tour because we will have
    to share him. ( Selfish I know ! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asleep
    Please Please Please
    There's a Light
    Life Is A Pigsty
    Sweetie pie (Unreleased version)
    This Is Not Your Country
    Trouble Loves Me
    Angel
    Dear God Please Help Me
    To Me You Are A Work Of Art
    Shelia Take A Bow
    Friday Mourning
    Mexico
    Camden
    Lifeguard Sleeping Girl Drowning
    Sunny
    The Queen Is Dead
    Treat Me Like A Human Being
    The Operation
    It's Over
    Encore: I've Changed My Plea (Original version Morrissey & piano)

    Painful to leave some songs out, ask me again tomorrow & the set list may look quite different. That, is the beauty of The Smiths & Morrissey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My set-list of 21 songs in chronoligical order is :

    What Difference Does It Make ?
    This Charming Man
    How Soon Is Now
    The Headmaster Ritual
    I Know It's Over
    There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    Shoplifters Of The World Unite
    A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
    Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me
    Everyday Is Like Sunday
    Suedehead
    November Spawned A Monster
    Tomorrow
    Hold On To Your Friends
    The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
    Trouble Loves Me
    Let Me Kiss You
    You Have Killed Me
    All You Need Is Me
    I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
    Action Is My Middle Name

    But like EARS has said, this could change at any time !

    ReplyDelete

  8. That should be chronological order !!
    A slip of the digit !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this would be impossible to do, but I've managed an attempt and had fun doing it. I tried to avoid songs that have been played on tour most recently (although I couldn't resist including There Is a Light and Last Night I Dreamt). My setlist, in no particular order:

    What She Said
    November
    I Am Hated For Loving
    Now My Heart Is Full
    Well I Wonder
    Dear God, Please Help Me
    Rubber Ring
    I've Changed My Plea
    Last Night I Dreamt
    Ganglord
    Angel
    Camden
    Art-hounds
    Action
    Seasick
    Pigsty
    Disappointed
    Trouble
    I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
    There Is a Light
    I Won't Share You



    ReplyDelete
  10. My fantasy set-list, which shall never, ever happen during this lifetime.

    Handsome devil
    The operation
    Hand in glove
    You were good in your time
    First of the gang to die
    So little time (cover)
    Irish blood, English heart (ode to Wilde)
    Don't make fun of daddy's voice
    Something is squeezing my skull
    Suedehead
    The last of the famous international playboys
    Paint a vulgar picture
    Action is my middle name
    Boredom is a plague
    I'm throwing my arms around Paris
    I've changed my plea to guilty
    The tyranny of tedium
    Excerpts from my life story
    Song for nobody
    The Queen is dead

    encore: There is a light that never goes out

    ReplyDelete